In order to become a member of the Berkeley Student Cooperative, members must meet our eligibility guidelines. We require this as a nonprofit organization to maintain our tax exempt status. You will need to provide the relevant verification with your Summer application. Fall and Spring members will be asked to provide verification during the term. BSC policies, including student eligibility, can be found here.
While the majority of our members are University of California at Berkeley students, we also have many students who are completing their general education requirements at local community colleges (Berkeley City College, Diablo Valley College, etc) and also students enrolled at other local 4-year colleges and universities (Cal State East Bay, Mills, San Francisco State, just to name a few).
UC Extension/Concurrent Enrollment/Internships: You are eligible if you are enrolled in a minimum of half time units through extension/concurrent enrollment. If you are an international student and you are not enrolled in a minimum of half time units through extension/concurrent enrollment, you are eligible if you are a student at your home university.
UCB concurrent enrollment/extension students are only eligible to live in any of our properties owned by the University of California, Berkeley (Cloyne, Convent, Rochdale and Fenwick) if they are enrolled in certain classes. Our lease agreement with UCB requires that students living in those co-ops be registered UCB students. Therefore, only those Extension students that are part of the Concurrent Enrollment Program AND are taking courses with prefixes “XB” and “XBW” are eligible to live at Cloyne, Convent, Rochdale, or Fenwick. Students in the UC Freshman Extension program and students who are a part of a reciprocal foreign exchange program are also recognized by U.C. Berkeley as registered students.
Internships do not meet our student eligibility requirements and cannot live in the co-op unless they are also enrolled at a college/university while here doing an internship.
If you are enrolled in fewer than half-time units as part of an academic students with disabilities accommodation or need any other BSC housing accommodations, please contact Giovanni Smith, housing supervisor, at email@example.com. Giovanni works with our DSP applicants/members with regards to housing accommodations.
Post docs are not eligible to live in the co-op. Visiting student researchers/scholars are not eligible to live in the co-op unless they are students at their home university.
If you are unsure about your student eligibility or have any questions, please contact our office before signing a contract.
You must be a registered UC Berkeley student to live at Cloyne, Convent, Rochdale and Fenwick during the Fall/Spring academic year.
For Fall & Spring terms:
The status of any registered, full time or half time students working toward an academic degree or teaching certification at a post-secondary school. The BSC recognizes four such subcategories:
- University of California, Berkeley Students: Any registered student at UCB as of 5:00pm on the last day UCB normally allows a student to withdraw from the semester in which the student initially joins the BSC. This subcategory includes students in the UCB Freshmen Extension Program.
- Graduate students on filing fee status.
- Community College and other Students: Any full time or half time registered student that meets the BSC student status requirement according to the definitions (such as “full or half time” or "trade school accreditation" or “degree program”) used by the specific school attended by the student. Community College students are welcome in the BSC.
- Visiting Student Researchers (who are currently enrolled in a degree program and are working to obtain a degree) meet BSC student eligibility requirements. Postdocs and Visiting Research Scholars (who have already obtained a PhD), however, do not meet BSC student eligibility requirements.
- Students who take a reduced course load (in the case of DSP status, for example) who can qualify for an exemption from the half/full time status requirements via the Administrative Committee.
You must be a registered UC Berkeley student to live in Cloyne, Convent, Rochdale and Fenwick during the Fall/Spring academic year.
For Summer (any one of the following):
- You are a student (UCB or another) during the Spring term OR
- You will be a a student (UCB or another) for the upcoming Fall term OR
- You will be taking classes at UC Berkeley Summer Sessions or enrolled at another college/university during Summer.
To live at Cloyne during the Summer, you must either be a registered UCB student Spring or Fall or enrolled in 5 or more units at UCB in the Summer.
With the exception of UC Freshman Extension program and students who are a part of a reciprocal foreign exchange program , the University does not recognize student enrolled through UC Extension (concurrent enrollment or otherwise) as registered UC Berkeley Students.